As a New Yorker, the date 9-11 will always stir up deep emotions inside of me. It was the day the world turned a bleak and surreal black, white, and gray. And so I dedicate this blog post in memory of those we lost, and their loved ones who survived, hoping that this Pick-Me-Up Guacasalsa dish, so dear to my heart, will bring forth some color and good cheer.
This love affair and marriage of Guacamole and Salsa results in a kaleidoscope of beautiful colors and a refreshing blend of crisp, citrusy flavors. It is my go-to concoction when I need a crowd-pleaser, and my inspiration-potion on days when I feel “blah”. The magic of this dish is that you never ever get sick of eating it. It teases your palate and lures you to come back for more. Garden-fresh veggies like juicy tomatoes, crunchy bell peppers, creamy avocados, and plump corn kernels fuse together in a symphonious medley.
- corn Kernels (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- 2-3 large ripe tomatoes
- 2-3 bell peppers (red, orange, yellow, or green)
- 2-3 avocados
- juice from fresh limes
- a bit of sugar
- red chili pepper flakes
- Dice all veggies into petite-cut sizes
- Finely chop the basil and cilantro
- Mix well, and add some salt & pepper, chili flakes, and fresh squeezed lime juice until desired acidity and heat is achieved
- Add some sugar to balance out the acidity
- Serve with tortilla chips the traditional way, use as filling in omelettes (yes, delicious!), serve as a side dish in lieu of salad, or take a spoon and enjoy it “in the nude”!
- Add black beans for smoky richness
- Easily swap in lemon for lime (or a combination of both)
- Substitute lemon/lime for balsamic vinegar and honey for a fruitier, sweeter taste
- Replace cilantro with parsley, or play with a mix of oregano and rosemary for a warmer, more robust flavor